Thursday, July 9, 2015

Family and friends....

One of the great joys of traveling has always been... seeing the wonderment on the kiddos faces. When you look off a high bridge, peer from the rim of a crater, hike along a trail that the Spanish used hundreds of years ago, or touch lava that cooled millennia ago... it is awesome to see a kids face and know that they are finally 'getting' it! That this country we live in, this earth we live on, is wonderful and amazing.
I suppose you could get that in your own front yard, but it is awe inspiring when you actually see and feel the oldness, the wonderment that is our world.

I was tremendously lucky when I was a kid. My family wandered around the states in our old car. My father was unafraid to take the family on trips. He was after all, a survivor of WWII, why should a little road trip scare him?  He was a brave man.  Off we'd go with tent and cookstove and the passel of kids, and take off for parts known or unknown.

My mother took tons of pictures no matter where the family went. She was born into the era of the 'brownie' and picture taking was the fad. I had tons of pictures to look at when I was a kid. My parents before they had me... my father's adventures in Europe. My parents as new parents... as the family grew... and with me... we had trips across the country and to the lake not far from home. We had vacations with other families and just alone.
I have to say, I liked it when we traveled with other families... and with our extended family. I was the youngest, so my older brothers were already out of the house pretty much when I came along. So it was usually just my sister and I when we traveled with my parents... but when we traveled with say, my aunt and uncle... it was magical

I've been trying to find pictures of trips when I was young. I don't have many, and I'll try to post the ones that I do have, though they won't be that great. I think I got all the old, ugly pictures from my childhood. I'm the end of the kids so maybe there weren't as many from then? Whatever the reason, I didn't get many. 
One trip with my mother's best friend and her family was great! I was about four, maybe, and remember it vividly. We went to Davis, Oklahoma, to camp at Turner Falls. The water was sparkling clear, we had great food, slept in a huge tent on canvas army cots, and played in the water until I was a prune!
One trip my aunt and uncle was to New Mexico. I could have been five. We went to Carlsbad caverns, camped in the white sands, camped on lava beds, camped in Holy Ghost! And visited the Pueblos. My first pair of pants were bought in Santa Fe.   

No comments:

Post a Comment