Sunday, July 5, 2015

Packing for seasons, or how to pack everything you own for a week away from home.





The packing to me has always been the whole problem. Packing for seasons, packing for surprise changes in weather, packing for a trip to a different climate, packing for a working vacation...
How do you do it?

I don't have a clue. We traveled to Great Britain the first trip was for a three week holiday and talk about over packing. I took clothes for what I thought was a reasonable trip. I didn't know what to expect, so I took shirts, t-shirts, undershirts, over-shirts, sweaters, two jackets(I needed two different colors of jackets), a rain coat, a couple of dresses, a couple of  nice dresses, regular high heels, nice high heels, tennis shoes, sandals, flip-flops, and flats. I took pants, shorts, 2 bathing suits, and all my toiletries. I took jewelry for each outfit and couldn't decide on what necklace for the nice outfit, so I took three to choose from. I took books to read on the long flight, I took sketch pads and pencils, charcoal and an assortment of snacks. That was for me... My son was packed pretty much the same.
This...
This is the problem. I have no idea how to pack.
So we went for three weeks, and we had a great time, and we didn't wear nearly half the clothing. I found that I did wear all my undershirts and t-shirts. I did wear my flats, tennis shoes, and one pair of heels. I never got the chance to wear my really nice dress, nor did I need any of the snacks. I did use my sketch pad and charcoal. I did not need the books... I wore very few pieces of jewelry. I used very little makeup. I did wash my hair a lot, but not so much to need a huge bottle of shampoo.
You don't want to know what I packed for the 7 week holiday!


I learned a lot from that trip.
First:
      If you are going to a different climate, you should find out what the average temperature is for the season you are traveling in. Dress appropriately.
Second:
       Be realistic... Will you be dining in a fine restaurant? Going to Buckingham Palace to meet the Queen? or will you be driving around the countryside, tromping through cattle pastures, and through streams up and over hill and dale? Yes, there might be an occasion to dress up, but really? Tea with the Queen? I didn't at least.
Third:
     Be kind to yourself... take comfortable everything. Wear what you would wear at home, but more appropriate for the climate. Be comfortable no matter what you are doing. If you wear tight, constricting clothing, tight shoes, or 4 inch heels to hike in... it gets a bit uncomfortable. I admit, I didn't think ahead when I packed the heels. I thought we would be dining out a lot, and I find at home, I wear 4 inch heels a lot, but not in the yard, not hiking, certainly not just walking around the city.

We ended up riding in a car for the longest time while in England, Wales and Scotland. We toured all over the place, not just London. We went from large cities to small out of the way villages. and everything in between. Whilst in the car, one really doesn't need to be in tight clothing, no need for  high heels, and there is nothing better than having comfortable, easy to slip on sweaters to make you feel cozy and comfortable in changing weather.  A good pair of Wellies are a nice addition as well. I bought a pair of Wellies for myself and my son while in Carlisle. We were embarking on a venture in Scotland, to visit cemeteries (yes, my morbid love of cemeteries). It had been raining for a couple of days, with a short break in the weather, but we went prepared. We needed them. While visiting the cemetery at Blacket House and the old ruins of the church at Kirconnel. The rain had caused the river to race and the fields to be muddy.


That is another thing that makes or breaks a trip. If your feet are uncomfortable, you are miserable. Ask me how I know...
I took sandals to England, thinking that was a good thing.  And for a couple of days out of the trip, it was. We spent the day in Edinburgh at the zoo for my son's 7th birthday, and it was 80F. That is an oddity for Edinburgh I understand. It did rain a bit, but it was wonderfully warm. The rest of the trip to Scotland was pretty cold. Or cold for a person from West Texas. When we left home it was right at 100F .  We drove to Dallas where it was hot and humid and then there were torrential rains when we went to the airport,  so we were wet and cold for the flight. I think it would have been wonderful to have a change of socks for the flight over, and a baggie for the soaking wet socks so my feet would have dried out. My son didn't seem to mind his, he had on some really good tennis shoes, his feet seemed to be pretty dry. I think I got the brunt of the water though, packing and unpacking the car. I waded through the water, so I was soaked. I never got warm the whole time. Not even the day we were in Edinburgh. Comfortable, dry shoes are a must, no matter where you are traveling. Feet first is my motto!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment