Friday, July 10, 2015

The Good, the Bad, and the Oh So Hilarious



Some trips can be wonderful, some can be horrible,and some... can just be downright hilarious. Take for instance the trip from my childhood that I spoke of in the earlier blogs... The trip to Holy Ghost, New Mexico... Looking back, it was pretty funny... most of our trips were like that... maybe not at the time. I seem to remember a few choice words that I am sure my mother covered my ears for... but for the most part, we could all look back and say that it was fun, and things like skunks and torrential rain can always make you smile...
That trip to Holy Ghost?  The men decided it was warm enough to sleep in the A frame at the campsite and let the 4 women/girls have one tent. Saved work, right? One tent Instead of two. Problem was, a front moved through during the night, rain, sleet, hail, then... I swear, snow. 
On top of the cold, there was a skunk seeking shelter in the A frame with the men... 
That trip to New Mexico had many such times to look back on. Camping on the Lava Bed was fun and exciting, waking to a blanket of fog, something oh so captivating... The trip into the Pueblo at Taos, such rich history, I am sure that we made fools of ourselves, gawking at the "Indians" that lived so very different from the Natives that grew up with and around.

We had other vacations and short trips that were fun to look back on. The trip to Possum Kingdom lake with my aunt and uncle's dog... We were babysitting their beloved pet but had been planning this trip, so what do you do? Take the pooch along for the ride... Only thing was, the weather changed, dramatically. We had a torrential downpour that left our tent pouring water in, and the dog was terrified of all the wind, rain, thunder and lightening. She was cowed and whimpering, I think I was as well, probably around five years old, cold and tired... we ended up sleeping in the car. Which was not so bad, my father had a huge old Pontiac. I fit perfectly into the back window or curled up in the floorboard of the back seat... but that night the dog got that place. My sister slept in the seat, my parents slept in the front seat. To think of my dad sleeping there makes me sad. He should have stretched out.  The next morning, after we ate, my mother had enough of sand, water and sun, so we packed up and started home... um... actually, we didn't. We didn't get out of the parking spot. The car was just heavy enough, and the sand just wet enough, that we were stuck. The tires just dug in. I think my mother cried. My dad just unpacked the shovel, his old army issue, and started digging, piling in sticks and twigs, and soon enough got us out of the quicksand.

I could go on and on... seems like there were many, many trips like this. I'll save some for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment